What's a catalog?
With catalogs, you can configure which products you want to share with an app thanks to a product selection composed of one or several criteria that allow you to filter products.
When an app uses catalogs to retrieve product data, it automatically enables the Catalogs tab and creates catalogs for this app in your PIM. To configure your catalogs:
- Go to Connect, then Connected Apps,
- Click Manage app, and then click Catalogs.
Here you access the list of all the catalogs the app can manage with a label and a status.
Click on the catalog you want to set up to access the configuration interface.
When you access a catalog, you will see two tabs:
- Product selection: where you will configure criteria to filter your product selection,
- Filter the values: when a catalog is not compatible with mapping, we display this tab to allow you to choose which values to send to the app based on filters,
- Product mapping: where you can map your PIM attributes with the app expected targets.
If you can't click on Manage apps, please read our paragraph Who can connect apps?
Configure your catalog product selection
In the Product selection tab, you can define selection criteria. They are the attributes or system fields you can use to filter your products. Altogether, the criteria will create your Product selection.
When there are no criteria, your whole PIM catalog is selected.
You will find the system fields at the top of the list, and below are all the attributes gathered by attribute groups. There is a search bar to help you find the attributes.
Each time you add a criterion, its color turns purple to inform you that it is already used.
A new line appears in the product selection.
Let's see how a line is organized.
- You will find the system fields or attribute you chose in purple on the left.
- Then, you have to choose an operator. Depending on the filter, the operator list changes.
The following fields vary depending on your filter. There can be up to 3 types of fields.
- You can have the value field. For example, if your filter is a multi-select attribute type, you can choose which options you want to filter on.
- If your filter has a value per channel and/or per locale, the channel and locale fields appear to let you choose which locale/channel you want to filter on.
If you want to remove a condition, click on the cross at the end of the line.
To select your products, you can use the following system fields and attribute types of the PIM as conditions:
- Simple select attribute
- Text attribute
- Measurement attribute
- Yes/No attribute
- Multi-select attribute
- Number attribute
- Text area attribute
- Date attribute
Configure the product data mapping
After configuring your product selection, you need to configure your product data mapping. To do so, let's switch to the Mapping tab.
In this tab, you will see 2 columns:
- The left panel displays all the targets the app requires to synchronize your product data,
- And the right panel is where you can configure the source to map with the target.
Please, note that targets are not translated as we display the value sent by the app.
Apps can require different types of targets: string, number, boolean, and array of strings. They can also specify the string format if they expect a date-time or a link.
Using this information, the source panel suggests all PIM attributes or properties that match the expected target type.
Here is the correspondence table for each target type.
|Target type||Suggested PIM attribute types and properties|
|String with no specified format||identifier, parent code, text, textarea, simple-select, multi-select, categories, family, single reference entity link (code and text attributes), asset collection (text), product parent code|
|String with the date-time format||date|
|String with the link (URI) format||image, asset collection (media file, media link), single reference entity link (image)|
|Number||number, measurement, price|
|Boolean||boolean, product status (enabled)|
|Array of strings||multi-select, categories (label), asset collection (text), multiple reference entity link (code and text attributes)|
|Array of strings with the link (URI) format||asset collection (media file, media link), multiple reference entity link (image)|
When you map a text attribute in an asset collection attribute with a string target, we only send the first asset value.
Stay tuned! We're still adding new suggested PIM attribute types and properties.
- Go to the Mapping tab,
- Select a target in the left panel,
- Then select the attribute in the PIM source field to map a PIM attribute with a target.
For some sources, you may have to configure additional information.
- When an attribute has value per locale, select the locale to use for exporting the data.
- When an attribute has value per channel, select the channel to use for exporting the data.
- When an attribute has value per channel and locale, select the channel and then the locale to use for exporting the data.
Depending on the selected attribute type in the Select source panel, you may have to set up additional configurations.
- For select attribute types, simple and multi, you must select a language in which the value should be sent. When the app synchronizes the product data, it will get the option translation you set up in your PIM settings instead of the option code.
- You must select a currency for price attributes so the PIM can send the related amount to the app when it gets product data.
- You must select a unit for measurement attributes so the PIM can send the related value to the app when it gets product data. Note that if the unit you select is not the unit used in the product, the PIM converts the value before sending it to the app.
Value by default
For string, number, and boolean targets, you can select a Default value when is empty value. The PIM will send this value when the product's source attribute value is empty.
You can also use this field if you don't manage the information inside your PIM.
Configure value filters
In the Filter the values tab, you can configure data filters to send only the data your app needs.
To filter product values, you can use the following filters:
- Channels: when an attribute has value per channel, the PIM sends only product values for the selected channels
- Locales: when an attribute has value per locale, the PIM sends only product values for the selected locales
- Currencies: the PIM sends only prices for the selected currencies
You connect your e-commerce app with your PIM and want to send only data related to your e-commerce channel.
In the Filter the values tab, we advise you to filter the values on your e-commerce channel as in the following screenshot.
Enable/disable a catalog
Once you finish configuring your catalog, update the Enable status value to Yes in the catalog header.
As soon as you enable a catalog, the app will be able to retrieve your product selection data.
On the contrary, if you want to stop the catalog synchronization between Akeneo PIM and the app, update the Enable status value to No in the catalog header.
All new catalogs are disabled by default when you connect an app. It's up to you to enable them when your configuration is ready.