Product identifiers are key when managing product information in the PIM and also in all your PXM workflows. We have made some changes to how we handle identifiers in Akeneo PIM to provide you with more options when creating and managing unique product identifiers.
Discover our most recent features
One of our users' most popular requests is adding more capabilities to manage product identifiers. We are happy to share what we have been working on for the past few months.
Earlier this year, we have introduced our Identifier Generator, allowing our users to automate the creation of identifiers directly in the PIM.
We are pleased to announce that we are now introducing another massive update regarding identifier management: the ability to use additional identifier attributes to help you manage all your identifier types and improve your search for products in the PIM.
Let's focus on Identifier Management
We have been giving more flexibility in the PIM regarding identifier management.
The SKU is no longer a mandatory field for creating products.
- You can now create a product without a SKU on the PIM, the API, and imports
- You can also remove the SKU from a family, meaning a SKU won’t be asked at product creation for those products, and it will disappear from the product page
- You now have the possibility to create up to 10 identifiers attribute for your entire catalog and choose a main identifier for your products (instead of the ‘SKU’ which is the main identifier by default).
- When created in the PIM, every product is now assigned a new technical identifier, called the UUID. The UUID gives you a new way to identify your products and is automatically and randomly generated by the PIM. It cannot be modified.
These changes are available in the Growth Edition and the Enterprise Edition.
Start creating products without SKU
If you wish to begin creating products without the SKU in your PIM, please confirm the following steps to avoid disruption to your product catalogs:
- Make sure leaving SKU fields empty will not have any impact on your PXM workflow, especially any synchronization you may have configured with third party systems that might use SKU as a key entry
- Update your API configuration with the new available API endpoints using UUID as a technical identifier. Please read our API documentation updated with the new API endpoints.