App Feature Coverage & Recommendations
The current version of the Akeneo App for BigCommerce covers the following features and attributes:
|Basic Product Attributes||Yes|
|Custom Atrributes||COMING SOON|
|SIMPLE PRODUCTS Management||Yes|
|MANUAL LOGS Management||Yes|
|SINGLE STORE Management||Yes|
|MULTI-STORE Management||COMING SOON|
|Enable/Disable Product State||Yes|
|1 variation axes for Product Model Management||Yes|
|2 variation axes for Product Model Management||Yes|
|Product Association Type Management||No|
|API Import filters (completeness)||Yes|
|Attributes value deletion||Yes|
|Event API management||No|
Please be aware that the attributes and features scope evoles. We aim to update you with new features regularly to provide you with a seamless user experience.
#Native BigCommerce attributes coverage
SIMPLE PRODUCT & PRODUCT MODELS
- BASIC INFORMATION
- Product Name
- Default Price
- Product Type
- IMAGE & VIDEO
- Images (product models are out of scope - COMING SOON)
- PRODUCT IDENTIFIER
- Product UPC/EAN
- DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
- Variant images (out of scope - COMING SOON)
- Default Price
This page aims at sharing some best practices regarding our Akeneo App for BigCommerce implementation and some basic guidelines to keep in mind.
Akeneo App is a bridge between Akeneo PIM and BigCommerce. Why is it important to notice?
Because our Akeneo App is an agnostic connector independent of customers' specificities, our goal is to provide a solid technical basis to plug Akeneo PIM into a BigCommerce store. Please note that we aim to nourish the App and provide you frequently with new features. However, according to our SaaS approach, none of those features will be specific to your project.
Another important notion here is to consider that Akeneo App uses API to API integration strategy. It means that we will not integrate any feature not covered by the API (both from PIM and BigCommerce side).
#Talking about performance
We are often asked about the metrics and performance of Akeneo Apps. Unfortunately, this is not that easy. In general, please note that two main criteria impact the performance of the App/Connector:
- The catalog volume: even if that's the first one that comes to mind, it is not the only one to consider.
- The catalog complexity: indeed, importing 500 000 products can be an easy task if the Product is described by "just" a name, a description, and an image. However, if the Product is very complex (high number of attributes, plenty of variations, many digital assets etc.), importing 2 000 products can be a very painful and lengthy process.
#So what can I do to preserve my App's performances?
Always prefer direct data mapping between Akeneo PIM and BigCommerce. This way, you don't need to rely on App to convert the PIM data into the required format. By doing so, you will help your system to be more efficient.
#Full import or delta import?
There are two ways to import product data:
- Full import: this is the most extended import process because everything, including images, will be synchronized between Akeneo PIM and BigCommerce. However, this full import happens once for the first synchronization used to build your catalog on the BigCommerce side. Then, you will only run a delta imports to update your BigCommerce catalog most of the time.
- Delta import: Depending on the last successful import date, the system can sync only new products when necessary. However, to reconstruct some data on the Bigcommerce side, some tasks have to be run as a full import anyway (e.g., categories are fully imported even in a delta import or if you applied any changes to your mapping, make sure to use full import instead of delta one). However, this delta import process will allow you to decrease the needed import time. This type of import is used daily to resync data that has changed in the days. This one is often a manual operation.
#Can I customize Akeneo App for BigCommerce?
As Akeneo BigCommerce App is a SaaS product developed & hosted by Akeneo, you cannot personalize it nor add any additional code.
The current version of the App is recommanded with PIM's Growth Edition. We are working on including other features and attributes, but we cannot promise you any particular timeline for a moment.
So what can I do if I need some development that is currently not available?
- We will be providing you incrementally with additional features. However, please keep in mind that to maintain our SaaS strategy, all additional features will be generic and not project-related.
- You can ask your Akeneo's contact for any update of the Akeneo App's roadmap to see if it could fit your short term needs.
- Also, if you have a specific feature request that you would like to share with us, please do not hesitate to contact your Akeneo's contact and share your feedback
- If the short term roadmap does not fit your needs, you can think of developing a personalized Connector by your internal teams or with a partner. However, please be aware that this Connector needs to be hosted and maintained by your team. and that our Akeneo Support supports the Akeneo App for BigCommerce only.
#How to ensure the success of my integration?
This is pretty easy: you should test the App as early as possible in the integration process. By doing so, you will challenge the data model and ensure the efficiency of the mapping.
Please make sure that you are aware of our feature coverage before using our App. Always keep in mind that the earlier you start testing, the more confident you are in the connector compatibility and its adoption.
You should ask yourself:
- Are Akeneo PIM and/or the e-commerce platform customized in any way? If they are, that should raise a warning.
- Are all the project actors aware of the SaaS approach we are proposing? With both pros and cons of this solution.
- The bigger the catalog, the sooner the App has to be tested, especially in terms of performance and synchro data policy definition.
- The more complex the catalog, the sooner the connector mapping has to be considered in order to confirm the compatibility between both systems.
- Be brave, don't worry about trying out new things. Benefit from this opportunity to challenge your existing data model and eliminate all the complexity inherited from a legacy solution. Our advice here is that this is better to modify an existing data model slightly on the e-commerce side to efficiently map and smoothly import your data rather than recreating a legacy complexity in the PIM.
- An Akeneo App will do what it is created for: plug any standard PIM into BigCommerce store by maintaining the highest performance and scalability for all its users. If Akeneo App tests are not up to your performance standards, then there are two options for you:
- Not using the Akeneo App at all and creating yours from scratch (and we are totally fine with that);
- Look if our Partners' solutions are more suitable for your needs.